Prague instructed the council to transfer money for the repair of the Platýs, if it does not begin this year

Publisher
ČTK
13.02.2026 08:00

Prague - Prague city councilors have urged the municipal company Trade Centre Prague (TCP) to postpone the reconstruction of the Platýz palace if alternative spaces for the kindergarten located in the building cannot be found in time. In addition, they instructed the city council to transfer the money allocated from this year's budget for the repair of the building to the next year if the investment cannot be initiated this year.


TCP announced on Tuesday that it plans to begin a complete restoration of part of the palace this September. The kindergarten is set to move to alternative spaces for the duration of the construction works, approximately for two years. Prague 1 informed on Tuesday that the kindergarten will relocate to a building on Řásnovka. Prague councilman Adam Zábranský (Pirates) stated today that several locations have been identified that will now be investigated.

The inclusion of the item on the agenda was proposed by opposition councilor Jan Čižinský (Prague Ours). According to him, information is spreading among parents that the kindergarten is expected to move out in June, raising concerns about its future operations. He proposed a resolution urging TCP to postpone the reconstruction if alternative spaces for the kindergarten cannot be found in time.

"The reason why TCP is taking a very active approach and wants to have a contractor selected as soon as possible and begin is that the building permit dates back to 2012. Since then, they have been trying to secure funding for the reconstruction. There is money in the budget now, but God knows if there will be next year,” said the councilor for property Adam Zábranský (Pirates). He therefore proposed a resolution that instructed the council to transfer the investment project to the next year if it is not initiated this year.

"A memorandum is being prepared that the kindergarten should remain there. But it cannot operate during the reconstruction. It will be a construction site and it is not possible for safety reasons. TCP is involved in finding alternative spaces; we have discussed this with Prague 1, we have some tips and will be checking them," Zábranský said.

This was also confirmed by the deputy mayor of Prague 1, David Bodeček (Pirates). "Yesterday, an agreement was reached between the municipality, the capital city, and TCP, which was confirmed today. The claim that the kindergarten is closing is not true,” said Bodeček. He mentioned that neighboring Prague 2 also offered assistance in finding a suitable location.

According to mayor Terezie Radoměřská (TOP 09), Prague 1 learned about the relocation 12 days ago. "As the managing councilor, I had to stop the registration on January 30. If the resolution does not pass, I would have to contact all seven kindergartens to be very cautious about whom they accept, to ensure there are enough spots for all children from Prague 1," Bodeček said during the discussion. According to him, about half of the children from kindergartens in Prague 1 have permanent residences outside the central city area. Both resolutions received support.

The reconstruction of the Platýz is expected to begin this September, with costs estimated at 100 million crowns. It will concern part of the building designated as III. staircase, including residential units on the third to sixth floors, as well as common areas, cellars under the atrium, the roof, and part of the facade. The inner atrium of the palace will be almost entirely occupied for construction purposes, and a construction pit will be created there.

TCP plans to announce a tender for the construction company in late March or early April, and with the planned start of works this September, it is expected to be completed by January 2028, the spokesperson added.

The palace was founded in the mid-14th century by the courtier of Charles IV, Prince Friedrich of Burgundy, on the site of three original houses close to the city wall. The Baroque elements were brought to the house by the Šternbergs in the 17th century. In 1813, it was purchased by knight František Daubke, who converted the building into a residential house. The last modifications were made here by the Slavia Bank between 1938 and 1939. The city had previously allowed the northernmost and oldest wing of the palace to be reconstructed, with the work completed in 2008.
The English translation is powered by AI tool. Switch to Czech to view the original text source.
0 comments
add comment

Related articles