Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav – Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav is completing the restoration of the protected area U Světice. The repaired location near the chapel and the spring is also meant to serve as an additional resting point for residents and visitors. The repair of the chapel, the spring, and their surroundings will cost nearly four million crowns. The work is expected to be completed by the end of August, said the city spokesperson Kateřina Stránská to ČTK.
"A drainage will be paved from the spring towards the Elbe. Restoration work on the niche chapel with the statue of Saint John of Nepomuk is being completed. Two new gravel paths will lead to the spring, creating a pleasant spot for stopping and resting," the spokesperson stated. The project also includes landscaping improvements aimed at enhancing the drainage of rainwater. Restorers are repairing the saint's statue and the historical inscriptions.
The area U Světice consists of a niche chapel with a statue of Saint John of Nepomuk and an architecturally adjusted spring. The chapel dates back to the early 18th century, with the year 1707 marked on the structure. The place was historically associated with the alleged healing properties of the spring and later became a pilgrimage site.
According to historical sources, the chapel was commissioned by the imperial governor Josef von Haslaver and his wife Anna. The statue of John of Nepomuk is often attributed to the Baroque sculptor Ferdinand Maximilian Brokoff, though this authorship has not been reliably confirmed. It was damaged in the past, and in the 1930s, it was restored by sculptor Jaroslav Brůha.
The English translation is powered by AI tool. Switch to Czech to view the original text source.